I haven’t been travelling much lately since I’ve been busy with a lot of side projects. But when I look back at my travels all over the world, one thing links them: How do you arrive at your destination looking fresh, happy, and rejuvenated? When I was twenty, I really could enter a plane and leave with perfect skin having done nothing. Now that I am a bit older (just a bit), if I do nothing, I will have puffy eyes and dull skin after a trip. It is a mystery why traveling on a moving vehicle brings out the worst in skin: namely bloating, dehydrated skin, eye bags, and water retention. There is something about riding on a bus/plane/train that does this. And every gal needs a plan to combat this. Arriving at your destination looking well rested and fresh is important. I want whoever is picking me up to be impressed. Here are my tried and true tips for minimizing the damages of travel.
Do these steps during your trip on a plane/bus/train:
- Hydration: drink water, drink water, and then drink water. It keeps your body fresh by flushing out toxins, and discourages water retention. Water retention is your enemy because it makes you look super puffy. Avoid salt, since it can make you bloat.
- Tea does something: A hot cup of tea steams up your face, gives your body antioxidants and soothes stomach and digestion. It also help calm the nerves and provides hydration. All things you need while on a plane/bus.
- Tone your skin: Toxins and dirt stick to your skin while travelling. Car and bus exhaust, recycled airplane air. They all suffocate your skin. Spritz a mister of spring water on your face, or do what I do and pack a bit of rose water. Put the toner on a cotton swab and dab your way to refreshment.
- Moisturize. After toning your face, put a good weigh moisturizer on your face. I find creams to be a bit greasy for day wear, so cocoa butter and coconut oil are my go to’s.
- Sleep. I can’t say this enough. Arriving at a destination sleep deprived affects your spirit, personality and appearance. You can’t think straight if you are tired. I like to use a sleeping pill if travelling over night to ensure I sleep on those bumpy travel routes.
- Make-up: you need a bit. Travelling while wearing too much make-up feels gross, so don’t over do it. Just before you arrive at your destination, touch up with essentials such as bb cream, mascara and lipstick/tinted lip balm. This makes all the difference and boost the effects of all the hard work you did during the trip for your skin. Put in some hair salve to moisturize your hair ends.
Voila! Arrive at your destination looking effortlessly gorgeous and enjoy the holidays! You only live once so have fun looking and feeling your best.
Happy Holidays and Happy New Year! 🙂